Since everyone is familiar with how technology and smartphones work, one would find this unbelievable. How can some people not know what apps are? In fact, according to a 2021 study by Statista, only 85% of Americans own a smartphone! That means there are still several users who have no idea how apps work on a smartphone.
If you are unfortunate enough to explain how apps work to a non-tech person, it can be a daunting task. But fret no, because I am here to break it down for you.
Apps – Short for Applications
First things first, you need to explain what an app is. As you already know, the word app is short for application. It refers to a program that runs on smartphones, tablets, or computers. In simple terms, an app is a program that you can download onto your device to perform specific functions.
Apps – How They Work
Now let’s dive a little deeper into how these apps a.k.a. programs work.
Every app is made up of a code, which is essentially a set of instructions that tell the app what to do. When you download an app on your device, you’re downloading that code. The app then runs on your device, using the resources on your device, such as processor, memory, and storage, to be able to carry out its job.
For example, let’s say you download a fitness app. This app will use your device’s sensors i.e. accelerometer or GPS, to track your steps, distance that you traveled, and calories burned! It will display all this information on your device’s screen so that you can monitor your progress.
How to Get the Apps?
You can get these apps from various sources such as downloading apps from Apple App Store, if you are an iOS user, Google Play Store, if you are a Google phone user, or directly from the app developer’s website. Make sure that the app is from a reputable source, as there are many fake apps out there that are even designed to destroy your device.
It’s also important to explain to a non-tech person that to download an app, you need a working internet connection. A fast and lag-free internet connection will lead to smooth connectivity when downloading apps on your smartphone.
Common Types of Apps
Let’s explore some of the common types of apps you will find:
- Social media apps are the most popular nowadays. These apps allow you to connect with your friends and family, share photos and videos, and stay up-to-date with news and events. Examples of social media apps are Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, etc.
- Games are another popular type of app. These can range from simple puzzle games to complex multiplayer games, and everything in between, for example, Scrabbles, Farmville, PUBG, etc.
- Productivity apps are designed to help you be more productive. These apps include things like to-do lists, note-taking apps, and calendar apps. These apps are mostly built into smartphones.
- Fitness apps, as mentioned earlier, are designed to help you keep track of your fitness journey. These apps can track your number of steps, calories being burned, and the distance that you traveled so far. These fitness apps motivate you to achieve your fitness goals.
- Travel apps allow you to plan and organize your travels. You can use Airbnb or Booking.com to look for places to stay at the destination. Use Expedia to check for upcoming flights.
In short, you can tell the non-tech person that apps are an essential part of our lives. Understanding what they are and how they work is an important part of owning a smartphone. While explaining all this to a non-tech person can seem challenging to you, it’s important to break it down in simple terms and use examples so that they can easily relate to it.
By doing that, you can help them better understand the benefits of using apps and how they can make their lives easier and more enjoyable. With this newfound knowledge of how apps work in our lives, these non-tech persons may be more inclined to explore the whole world of apps and discover how they can use them to their advantage.
Smartphone apps are constantly evolving, and even better apps are developed every day. By staying informed and up-to-date on the latest app trends, you can ensure that you’re getting the most out of your smartphone. And so is the non-tech person! With a little patience and understanding, you can help them to better understand the world of technology and how smartphone apps can make their lives so much better.